Individuals and Families
Whether you are at the beginning of your philanthropic planning, exploring a variety of tools for impact, negotiating your latest major charitable gift, or somewhere in-between, we are here to assist. It might be one or a few single consultations; it might be a set of steps over time. In any case, that first exploratory conversation is on us.
- Clarifying areas of desired impact and definitions of success
- Engaging children, grandchildren, and/or other members of the family in philanthropic decisions, now and for the future
- Establishing a plan and strategies for giving over time – what might you do now and what might you plan for the future
- Assistance determining the appropriate structure for one or a series of major gifts
- Helping evaluate various giving opportunities, as well as other actions for impact
- Negotiating terms of a significant gift with a charitable organization
If you are a financial planner, investment advisor/manager, estate planning attorney, accountant, or insurance professional, you offer your clients important and valuable expertise in areas we do not. What we do well, though, is provide unique expertise in effective, meaningful investments for a different kind of return: impact in one or more areas of importance to your client. A few ideas for us to partner are listed here, and no matter what, we will follow your lead and structure the engagement to work for you and add value to your practice.
- Seminars on topics of philanthropy and charitable planning for clients and colleagues
- Individual client consultations, family meetings, and retreats to determine philanthropic priorities
- Assistance planning individual major gifts, including negotiation with the charity
- Strategic and operational planning for private foundations and donor advised funds
Staff at charitable organizations frequently wear multiple hats, working diligently to run programs, manage the finances, and raise money to support their work. Even dedicated fundraisers juggle what could be full-time jobs each – annual solicitations, special events, communications, and grant-writing, leaving little or no time for major and estate gift discussions. We can help.
- Individual prospective donor consultations to cultivate, solicit, and structure major gifts – both outright and deferred
- Consultations with staff and/or donors on specially structured major gifts, including gifts of noncash assets (securities, real estate, tangible personal property, or privately held business interests, for example) and special gift structures (bequests, gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, life estates, and charitable lead trusts, and gifts of retirement plan assets)
- Seminars on charitable planning techniques for donors and/or staff
- Board education on philanthropy and fundraising practices
- Articles for organization’s publications focused on a variety of giving techniques
Conferences and Media
Shari Fox is available to speak, comment, or facilitate discussions on a variety of philanthropic planning topics.
- Charitable planning considerations and financially savvy techniques
- Philanthropic planning for liquidity events and other special situations
- Gift planning in capital and comprehensive fundraising campaigns
- Family philanthropy: involving next generations throughout their life stages
- The wide tent of philanthropy: pulling multiple levers to effect change
- Theories of change: which interventions matter